Research interestLogic, Database Theory, Descriptive and Computational Complexity Theory, Finite Model Theory, Foundations of processing huge data sets and data streams
PublicationsOrdered by years or categories.
- Current term (Summer 2014)
- Outlook on coming terms
- Archive of past terms
Examination datesInformation concerning examination dates etc. can be found here.
Diplom (master's degree) (1998) in mathematics (minor in computer science) and Ph.D. degree (2002) at the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz (PhD advisor: Prof. Dr. Clemens Lautemann). Post-Doc at the Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science at University of Edinburgh (2002-2003). Wissenschaftliche Assistentin (Post-Doc) (2003-2005) and Assistant Professor (2005-2007) for Logic and Database Theory at the Institute for Computer Science at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. Since 2007 Professor (Associate Professor in 2007; Full Professor since 2008) for Theory of Complex Systems at the Institute for Computer Science at Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main.
Honours and Awards: GI-Dissertationspreis (2002), Emmy Noether grant (2005, within the "DFG Aktionsplan Informatik"), elected member of the Young Academy (2005) at the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities and the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina, Heinz-Maier-Leibnitz-Prize awarded by the German Research Foundation (2007).
Currently, I'm a member of the Scientific Directorate of Schloss Dagstuhl (since 2010), the Scientific Advisory Board of Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik in Saarbrücken (since 2013), the Awards Committee for the GI-Dissertationspreis (prize for the best PhD thesis) (since 2013), and the ICDT-Council (International Conference on Database Theory) (since 2007). I'm on the editorial board of Logical Methods in Computer Science (LMCS) (since 2010), and I'm on the executive board of the German Logic Society "Deutsche Vereinigung für Mathematische Logik und für Grundlagenforschung der Exakten Wissenschaften" (DVMLG) (since 2010).
I have been head of the advisory board of Bundeswettbewerb Informatik (2008-2013), publicity co-chair for the IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science (LICS) (2005-2010), publicity co-chair of the 4th Federated Logic Conference (FLoC 2006), and publicity chair of the 5th Federated Logic Conference (FLoC 2010).
I serve(d) on the program committees of the following conferences:
- Informatik allgemeinbildend begreifen - 16. GI-Fachtagung Informatik und Schule (INFOS'15)
- Highlights of Logic, Games and Automata (Highlights 2014)
- 21st Workshop on Logic, Language, Information and Computation (WoLLIC'14)
- 9th International Computer Science Symposium in Russia (CSR'14)
- 17th International Conference on Database Theory (ICDT'14) - PC chair
- Highlights of Logic, Games and Automata (Highlights 2013)
- 32nd ACM SIGMOD-SIGACT-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS'13)
- Computability in Europe 2013 (CiE'13)
- 16th International Conference on Database Theory (ICDT'13)
- 21st EACSL Annual Conference on Computer Science and Logic (CSL'12)
- 39th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming (ICALP'12), Track B
- 4th International Workshop on Logic in Databases (LID'11)
- 14th International Conference on Database Theory (ICDT'11)
- Computability in Europe 2010 (CiE'10)
- 24th Annual IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science (LICS'09)
- 28th ACM SIGMOD-SIGACT-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS'09)
- 12th International Conference on Database Theory (ICDT'09)
- 16th Annual European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA'08)
- 10th Workshop on Descriptional Complexity of Formal Systems (DCFS'08)
- 25th International Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science (STACS'08)
- 16th EACSL Annual Conference on Computer Science and Logic (CSL'07)
- 22nd Annual IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science (LICS'07)
- 12. GI-Fachtagung für Datenbanksysteme in Business, Technologie und Web (BTW'07)
- 33rd International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming (ICALP'06), Track B
- 25th ACM SIGMOD-SIGACT-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS'06)
- 4th International Symposium on the Foundations of Information and Knowledge Systems (FoIKS'06)
- 10th International Symposium on Database Programming Languages (DBPL'05)
I am/was co-organizer of the following workshops:
- Dagstuhl-Seminar "Advances and Applications of Automata on Words and Trees" (12.-17.12.2010, Schloss Dagstuhl)
- GI-Dagstuhl-Seminar "Data Exchange, Data Integration, and Data Streams" (DEIS'10) (07.-12.11.2010, Schloss Dagstuhl)
- Algorithmic Model Theory Meeting 2010 (AlMoTh 2010) (25.-26.2.2010, Goethe-Univ. Frankfurt)
- 16th annual meeting of the "GI Fachgruppe Logik in der Informatik" (LogInf 2009) (6.-7.11.2009, Goethe-Univ. Frankfurt)
- ICC'08: Information, Control and Communication. A Transdisciplinary Workshop (10.-12.04.2008, Junge Akademie, Berlin)